Fontana / Prunn
The Fontana village has an extraordinary concentration of wooden structures built in the typical Sappada style.
Even though it is clearly separated from the Hoffe village, to the East it seems almost attached to the Kratten village due to 20th century development.
While expansion on the valley side of the old road has only partly filled in the natural spaces between the two settlements, growth was more sub stantial in the area immediately below, alongside the new road, where several masonry residences and large hotel structures were built.
The historical center lies slightly below the Hoffe village on the gentle slopes of this area of the northern side of the valley at the average altitude of 1245 m. In the Fontana village there are numerous traditional wooden buildings, representing the various styles and periods of Sappada's architectural history.
Surprisingly, the village does not have the customary small chapel; it does have, however, a crucifix in a beautiful position on a meadow adjacent to the Prunnar s'Zenzn house. There is also a double-basin fountain slightly downhill from the old road, marking the geometrie center of the settlement and serving as a meeting point for the village people.
Particularly remarkable is the 1650 Prunnar Sèffilan house, partially built with masonry, which is one of the oldest documented residences of Sappada. Just as noteworthy are also the 18th century s'Paulan house (1737), the Prunnar s'Zenzn house (middle of the XVIII c.) and the s'Plasn house (1707); all classic type buildings with cross-sectional corridors. Next to the s'Plasn house there are two items worth mentioning: another fountain and an extraordinarily rare example of kèisn: a large drying rack for cereals once common in all the villages.