It is the residence of the nobles Giovanni Battista Corona, commander of Gradisca, and Terenzia Sabbadini, his wife, in the 1500s. Upon their death, according to their testament, in 1627 the property passed to the convent of the Servite Fathers and to the Gradisca Hospital, with the clause that the building was to be used as a new hospital and a chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin was to be erected.
So it happened: the hospital for the sick poor, with an adjoining chapel, was inaugurated in 1642 and remained functional until 1787, when it was abolished by sovereign order.
The façade is very heterogeneous, with openings and floors at different levels: the building of the Corona house is in fact the result of the combination of several buildings from different periods ('500 and' 600). On the corner between Via Bergamas and Calle Corona we can notice a stone wall reinforcement and the considerable thickness of the walls on the ground floor.
The complex overlooks two internal courtyards: the one towards Calle Corona clearly shows the adaptations made to create a single building, with arcades and blind lunettes; the second, on the other hand, has a loggia on three levels, of which the first two with a lowered arch.
To Next the external staircase of the first courtyard, an inscription shows the year 1717 and the name of Giacomo Suppanzig, chamberlain of the brotherhood of S. Salvatore: he took care of the maintenance of the sick in the hospice.
The Chapel of S. Giovanni Battista is the chapel of the Corona house complex, built according to the will of the couple. According to their intentions, it should have been dedicated to the Blessed Virgin; it was later dedicated to san Giovanni Battista, in honour of the name of the noble benefactor who donated his house to be used for the hospital.
The construction works began in 1638 and in 1642 the chapel was consecrated. It is recognisable on Via Bergamas by a small bell gable containing the oldest bell in the city (1642).
Inside it preserves an altarpiece (1706) framed by marble columns supporting a broken entablature, the work of painter Giulio Quaglio. On the floor of the chapel is the tombstone of Giovanni Battista Corona and Terenzia Sabbadini, on which the coat of arms of the noble family is engraved.